Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Easy Ballot

I've heard a number of comments lately by journalists who believe the California recall ballot is complicated and confusing.

Well, I just went through my sample ballot and can state without qualification that this is baloney. It's the simplest statewide ballot we've had in my recollection.

Most of the ballots have half a dozen statewide offices mixed together with county and local offices, one or two county initiatives, leavened with a hefty does of judges, and to top it off, an array of 10 or more statewide initiatives, which are often exceedingly complex.

This ballot has four items: Whether to recall Governor Davis, who to replace him with, and two statewide initiatives.

It's easier than ordering a cheeseburger at Chili's. If some journalists think it's complicated, I think that speaks more about them than about the ballot.

No comments: